Sunday, March 27, 2011

the panera chronicles.

in my english class, the study of confessional poets is full steam ahead. 
and my new assignment was yet another poem, so setting up camp at panera and writing with my regular french vanilla coffee and blueberry bagel made perfect sense. 



My skin is paper mache
Layers of newspaper 
are more malleable than clay:
even after the glue hardens. 

When we hold hands we combine
the articles of a 
preacher and a gay man.
Like us they stand side by side. 

I am Queen of the World,
I'm a whore on the street. 
With all these words glued onto
my bones, sleep is exhausting. 

There are times I feel you don't say all you mean
but I've never read you for a liar. 
The truth is written, right there, on your knee. 
I said, "I love you." You replied, "Two dead in fire."

2 comments:

  1. Do you listen to music as you write, or do you let the atmosphere guide you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i suppose the atmosphere. i can only listen to music as i do math homework, it's too distracting at any other time.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...